Re: [MV] 6.2 Diesel Won't Crank

From: Jim Winne (jwinne@nettally.com)
Date: Sat Jul 28 2001 - 20:19:21 PDT

Hi Ken,

You might check the cables from the batteries to the starter for excessive
resistance. Sometimes corrosion will "wick" into stranded cable where it
is nearly invisible and cause high resistance. This drops your voltage to
the starter so it sounds like it is dragging. I had this happen in the
fuse box of a Datsun Pickup truck that I had. It was on the headlight
circuit and failed 100 miles from home at midnight....UUUGGGHHH! The
solution was to clip back the wire about an inch and reinstall it and it
worked just like new. I have had this happen with battery cables too. You
should be able to take both ends loose and check it with an ohm meter and
see high values.

Good Luck,
Jim
MVPA#17216