766th Tank Bn / '39 Ford panel

From: Carol Kenyon (Da-Kenyons@webtv.net)
Date: Sun Jul 29 2001 - 21:55:41 PDT

Anyone ever heard of this outfit? Formed (I think) in Hawaii early
WWII. Then went to PTO.
  There are so many armor nuts on this list, I was hoping for a little
info...
  It just so happens that there's a gap in my truck's ownership. The
115th QM Regt. disbanded early '42. The 223rd Infantry Regiment didn't
form until after (well after?)
WWII.
  The 223rd INF is a descendant of the 160th
Infantry Regiment (7th California). The 7 in the
Distinguished Unit Insignia for the 223rd refers
to this relationship. FYI
  Well...
  At the risk of sounding stupid...
  There's that brass tag in the pass side door jam, "TB 766".
  I think I see the word "Tank" on the hood.
  I think I see "766 TH" on the hood.
  I think I see "Tank Bn" on the right rear body...
  Somebody smite me with logic!
  Most California N.G. folks ended up in the Pacific Theater of
operation. Lots of them had a
(less than a year) visit to Hawaii first. Training
in that climate and terrrain, etc.
  What if: my poor old panel followed them to Hawaii, just to be
abandoned when those folks
went on. A just-formed unit, the 766th Tank Bn
somehow gains ownership, and so it becomes a TANK maint. vehicle.
Probably towing a fuel
trailer to fill those hungry tanks.
  Ideas? Yes? No?
Thanks, Don