Re: [MV] M715 re-power

From: Ted Hintopoulos (hint@northnet.org)
Date: Tue Jul 31 2001 - 06:07:28 PDT

Guess I'm too late for this one, but my $.002 worth.

Re: Keeping oil in the 230?

Don't know of to many motors that run well when
your down 2 quarts in a 6 quart system.

1. There are different head gaskets for that motor
and the choice and prep for the gasket will be different.
2. I did away with the rubber rocker cover gasket.

The 230 OHC was a totally different motor back when. It required
one to learn new practices in servicing it. The motor
never did get the chance that say the small block Chevys or Fords
received. It was dropped for the AMC 232 in the civi line after only
3 years. I will say in ending, the Mil version of the 230 OHC
is miles better and more durable then the civi version, though
the civi model can be corrected with Mil parts.

The M-715 is underpowered with this motor, but what MIL machine isn't
when it comes to the highway. Offroad, the gearing takes care of the power
question.

On repowering, there is a wide range of options depending on what else you
want to change and your ability/imagination.

Small Block Chevys, Fords etc.
There are tranny adapters and input gears available.

The AMC 360 that was used in the civi fleet is another good
choice. Two gentlemen at Ft. Lee pointed that out to me.
Neat conversion. Jeep used an tranny adapter and again the 715 input shaft
will need to be changed.

The M-37 w/ Detroit 3-53 (Goat) engine was at Weare.
The owner knows his machines, excellent!

I bought a couple of 6.2 HMMV motors
for my changeover, when I get to it. I prefer the 24 V
mil type installs and after all the other changes required
I sold myself to diesel long ago.

For the record, I have had my 715 on the road since 83
and to date, 117,600 miles on the clock,
respecting the 45mph Max Cruise religiously.

Repower will include axle gear changes, looking for
a comfortable 55-60mph Cruise and low turns on the drivetrain.

I do like my 715, but I haven't meet an MV that I didn't like!

Hoping this info is of some use,
Ted H.