Re: [MV] Jeeps of the Deep

From: M35products@aol.com
Date: Tue Jul 31 2001 - 07:25:31 PDT

In a message dated 7/31/01 9:58:54 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
kelloggd@uthscsa.edu writes:

<< Hi Listees,

 I had a most interesting conversation with a former USMC Gunnery Sargent
 yesterday. He was in on the invasion of Guam in 1944 and stayed on the
 island until WW2 ended. He was the enlisted supervisor of disposal of
 "surplus" MV's. Residents of Guam were allowed to buy jeeps for $300, but
 GI's were not. Most of the jeeps had 20 miles on them. Most were unsold,
 so he supervised driving them up to a cliff where they were pushed over
 into the deepest of the deep. They didn't remove anything, but just pushed
 them over....batteries....new tires...everything. He had so many to get
 rid of that he had to request additional drivers to get them all up to the
 disposal point. He also had to get rid of about 200 new halftracks (with
 75mm guns on them) and amtracs. The SeaBees dug huge pits. The vehicles
 (all new ones) were driven in and covered with dirt. I had seen some
 articles in MV Mag about this, but meeting someone directly involved was
 quite interesting.

 dean

Why don't you organize a tour? Let's go find them!!! apb