(no subject)

From: Jim Rice (majrice@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Jul 31 2001 - 17:04:06 PDT

All,

Believe TJ Smith has informed list of my parachute accident in France. I am
intermittently on-line at the hospital. Wanted to take a moment and update
everyone on my condition/status.

I am back from Walter Reed Medical Center, Washington DC and recovering at
Brook Army Medical Center, Ft Sam Houston, Texas. Long term outlook is
good. I will leave here soon for a rehabilitation center. Still cannot put
weight on my ankles due to severity of fractures. Rehab center will prepare
me for the day I can bear weight on my ankles. Doctors will allow that
first week of September. From that point, I should be walking (possibily
still with cane or crutches) in about 4 weeks. We are shooting for my
getting home by October, but don't know for sure.

Currently, the unknown is my bowel/bladder function. Due to improper
hardware placement in France, I've lost feeling and control of both bowel
and bladder. Surgery at Walter Reed in Washington DC to repair the French
work appears to be highly successful and doctors are optomistic I have
possibility of recovering all functions as no nerves or nerve roots were
torn or severed. Spinal column was pinched/squeezed by French repair.
American reinstrumentaion has corrected the problem, stabilized my back and
greatly enhanced my future prognosis.

My hope is to recover enough to remain on active duty so I can retire
normally in four years, rather than face medical retirement. Please keep me
in your prayers that I do recover enough to stay on active duty.

I appreciate everyone's support and well wishes. Please understand, I am
still extremely physically challenged and bedridden at this point. If you
wish to send e-mails, that is fine, but I am very limited in my ability to
answer many e-mails.

If you wish to call, my hospital room number is (210) 916-5576, While I am
doing better, I am still get pretty tired out easily and don't typically
last more than about 5-10 minutes on the phone. Best time to call is early
evenings.

Mail address is my home address and my wife will bring anything to me:

21427 Bubbling Creek
San Antonio, TX 78259

Finally, yes rumors are true, Army has selected me for Lieutenant Colonel.
Depending upon my medical situation, I should actually be promoted around
November, same time I hope to return to work, at least part time. Again,
everthing could change, but this is the goal we are working towards.

Again, thanks for everyone's well wishes and prayers. Please keep the
prayers goings.

Sincerely,

Jim Rice