XM-443 vs Volvo 3314 "Puppy"

From: Jim Allen (jimallen@onlinecol.com)
Date: Thu Aug 02 2001 - 09:26:16 PDT

RE the XM-443 being inspired by the Volvo "Puppy", it may be the other way
around. I can tell you that at some point, Willys tested a
Puppy, or at least an early version of it. I have photos in my collection,
dated approximately 1960, that shows one being tested by Willys. It's
different in detail from the production Puppy 3314 shown on
the recently linked Volvo website, so it may be a pilot, prototype or test
model. If my guess on the date of the pics is correct (a contextual guess
based on accompanying but unrelated materials), then the XM-443 came
earlier. The project info I have on the XM-443 shows it in full bloom in
1958. The info I have on the 3314 Volvo shows in going into production in
1961 My Material calls it a "Laplander." Correction or extra info welcome
and appreciated.

    Jim Allen