TM9-801 GMC CCKW and dates question

From: David (jeepers@online.no)
Date: Thu Aug 02 2001 - 11:31:16 PDT

Good evening, afternoon, or morning mv'ers,

I have what is obviously an original TM9-801 in good condition. It
measures 140 x 215mm and has 480 pages. The cover is a dark sand colour.
It is dated 24 April 1944 on the cover, and on page 480 it says at the
bottom 'General Motors Photographic 24 April 44 - 114M'.

I also have what also seems to be an original TM9-801 but is slightly
larger, has a lighter colour on the cover, and just says 'April 1944' on
the front. On page 480 it says "U.S.Government Printing Office O - 1948"
(Note: this one has been guillotined so has no spine and no back cover,
but all 480 pages are in good condition).

Question : Why did the 1948 version not give the full date 24 April 1944
on its cover ? Why just 1944 ? (By the way, does the original dated
TM9-801 have any collector's value in the States or are they common over
there ?)

Similarly I have a couple of TM9-1808A for Dodge WC's with the cover
dated 3 September 1943, but the last page reveals they were printed in
1947, and a TM9-1829A Speedomoters cover dated April 1944 but actually
printed 1949.

I think that anyone casually glancing at such books at fairs or MV-meets
might believe they have bought a WW2 original only to be disappointed
later on. This is one the situations where you really should "read the
small print at the bottom".

If anyone is interested in purchasing these, preferably as one lot then
contact me by e-mail (jeepers@online.no) and make an offer.

Regards,
David