M35A2 On The Road in Kalifornia!

From: Jim Newton (jnewton@laurel.com)
Date: Fri Aug 03 2001 - 23:21:16 PDT

Hello List...

Thanks to all of you who provided tons of valuable advise to me (on
registering my M35A2 as an antique vehicle, on tow bars, LOs, tips,
and the like) and data (printed and electronic TMs, technical info,
reference, etc.) as well as parts (new cap top canvas, grease boots,
tow bar, deep water fording kit, low air pressure warning light kit,
M16 gun mounts, etc.) my M35A2 is on the road in the People's Republic
of Kalifornia! I literally saved THOUSANDS of dollars by having the
benefit of this list!

This week I successfully registered and insured the beast and have
already put about 100 miles on it.

The DPO (dreaded previous owner) has STILL not answered any of my
voice mail or emails, although he DID reply to a bogus email I sent
him from my HotMail account so I know he's not dead), so I have less
than 30 days to get the title and bills of sale from him. Anyone live
near Plano, TX?

An interesting thing happened with the insurance. I insured it only
for liability since if it gets stolen I can self-insure to replace it.
But because the serial number came back as not indicating a military
vehicle, there was no extra fee for the weight. The agent said that
military and civy HMMWVs trigger an extra weight fee and it adds
hundreds of dollars to the bill, and even though the deuce weighs
13,000 lbs, it was as cheap for liability as my MGB and Suburban.

So I'm happy and just wanted to thank all of you that helped me!

--

Jim "Ike" Newton

o 1984 Military CUCV Suburban 6.2 Liter Turbo-Diesel Engine 3/4 Ton Cargo Capacity, 4WD

o 1971 M35A2 Military Troop/Cargo Truck "Deuce and a Half" 478 Cubic Inch Turbo-Diesel Multi-Fuel Engine Air Shift Front Axle 2 1/2 Ton Cargo Capacity, 6WD

See them at: http://www.CUCV.net