Re: [MV] Panzer III

From: Brandon K. (c322348@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Aug 05 2001 - 19:58:12 PDT

> 1) You have not one thin clue what anyone here can
> and cannot afford, so
> your statement probably plays even more ignorant
> than you had intended,
> which is truly an accomplishment to be proud of.

Nor do I care what anyone on this list can afford. It
was said in jest.

> 2) Deep pockets alone is a dangerous yardstick to
> use when attempting to
> measure a level of common sense or basic
> intelligence, as I have personally
> come across many such individuals unable to tie
> their shoes without six
> pages of typewritten instructions accompanied by
> "PS" magazine-style visual
> aids.

Agreed, it may be a dangerous yardstick, but they can
aford to lose it much more easily than I. I have no
evidence, but I doubt this vehicle would be on the
market if it had already not been turned down by
Littlefield, Ropkey, Cors, et al. They have dealers
around the world apprising them of the available
vehicles long before they appear on E-Bay. These
people create and/or maintain wealth for a reason.
They are also very careful to do everything legally
and above board.

> 3) I'm concerned that collectors and entrepeneurs on
> this side of the
> Atlantic are becoming marks for former Eastern Bloc
> vendors/agents because
> of the appetite for WWII and later military
> artifacts coupled with the
> unfortunate prevalence of 2), above, and have had
> exposure to dealings with
> former USSR countries and will 'worry' to my heart's
> content on behalf of
> fellow collectors anywhere I please as long as it's
> topical for the venue.

Thank you for your concern for my (and other
ignoramuses) well being. If there were only an
international law against this it wouldn't happen any
longer. Perhaps you can move into politics so you can
save the rest of the helpless huddled masses... :-)

While one should certainly use caution, I'm surprised
that some so readily denounce others without any
evidence. Giving a word of caution is one thing, but
dissuading others with unfounded concerns is another.

I have seen countless reports on this discussion list
of people being ripped off on a transaction between
parties in the US, so this is not limited to the
eastern block countries. Will anyone on this list come
forward with first-hand evidence that they have been
ripped off by an unscrupulous person in the eastern
block so that we may know the extent of this problem?

> > If you are a buyer, please contact the seller and
> ask
> > the relavent questions. Why trash this person
> without
> > EVIDENCE that he is perpetrating a scam. I believe
> the
> > e-bay ad said that he had the required export
> permits.
> > It would be easy to set up an escrow account that
> paid
> > the seller once the vehicle was on the ship.
>
> This I will agree with, in principle, but a little
> bit of healthy
> speculation is good for the soul - and as we draw on
> past experiences to
> form current opinions every, single, solitary day of
> our lives, you
> shouldn't be surprised to see that reflected in a
> few posts here.

 I'm not surprised at the speculation, but we need to
make sure that it is labeled as speculation rather
than
represented as factual. We seldom see posts from those
who have purchased vehicles from eastern Europe and
Asia, but I assure you there are many success stories.
Good news doesn't seem to travel as readily as bad
news!

I certainly don't want to turn this into a flame fest,
but a little healthy good natured discussion never
hurt anyone!

BK