M114 Track Sections and M29 Weasels

From: Tony Castagno (tony.castagno@personic.com)
Date: Wed Aug 08 2001 - 13:16:37 PDT

Hello List,

A while back there was an article on the "Weasel Restorer" Site (which
unfortunately has been taken down) On it a gentleman posted about
converting his weasel to use M114 track sections. As most of y'all probably
know, the Weasels weakest link is it's continuous steel tracks with rubber
shrouded steel cables. Replacement tracks do not exist and most people
resort to bolting or riveting converyor belt reinforcement around the inside
of the track to keep them together. My weasel has had this done as well,
apparently the fix is very strong and enduring (if not ugly). Well this
gentleman was able to rework his Drive wheel, sprockets and other running
gear to accept the M114 track which is "somewhat" available and more
importantly replaceable in sections and to top it off has rubber pads which
makes it road legal in some states.

My questions are

Does anybody know the gentleman who did the conversion I believe he is the
one who has that half truck half half track conversion?
Does anybody have the article about the conversion?
How is the conversion holding up? Any problems?
Are there any sources for M114 track on our list with price?
According to my measuring it should take fourteen 3 foot track sections does
this sound about right?
Does anybody know the legality of running a rubber tracked vehicle on the
road in GA? I believe in Tenn you need a 1/2 inch of rubber to be legal...
should be similar to the regs for half tracks...

Thanks for any information
Tony