Back from California with the M1009!!!

From: Jumpmaster (the_real_jumpmaster@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Aug 10 2001 - 13:27:54 PDT

Hello everyone!

I made it back from picking up the CUCV in California
last night finally! I met up with Mark Blair and he
showed me around the area as well as offering his
garage to do the pre-trip PMCS on the blazer. Many
thanks to Mark...without his invaluable assistance and
hospitality, the trip would definitely not have been
as enjoyable. :-)

I only had one minor problem on the trip..I lost the
alternator belt and had to fix it about 30 miles east
of El Paso in Fabens, Texas. Another one is still
squeaking a bit, but I'll have a look at it this
evening after washing all the bug crap off the truck.
Any good ways to eliminate bug guts from CARC paint?
Will just plain soap and water do it?

BTW, the Trimble GPS was quite helpful for the trip
back...I'm going to try and locate one of the
Shakespeare military VHF antennas to go on the truck.
I also have a Federal (OLD!) siren head and speaker to
put in for radio repeat and PA use (storm spotting).

If anyone has a copy of the TB for VRC-47 installation
in the M1009, I would love to have a look at that...I
think I have a line on the mounting shelves for the
radios also...

The previous owner had converted the engine to a 6.5L
turbo diesel and so in the process had converted it
from a 24v system to 12v (two batteries in
parallel...)...I have a source for 12 to 24v converter
boxes and I may try and pick some up this weekend. If
you'd like one also, they're $25.00 + shipping.
Please let me know soon though...I'll probably make a
run for them tomorrow (Saturday)...

In an ideal world, I would put it back at 24v but I
think I like the A/C system that's on there now. :-)
(Wish it had been operational for the trip!)

Thanks again for all the advice before the trip.
Everything went pretty well, I think! The truck has
been great so far and cruises along well at 65mph
according to the GPS. (I think it would go faster,
but I didn't try it...besides, they're supposed to
have a lot of power...not necessarily speed.) It had
no trouble on the side trip through White Sands Missle
Range and up to Ruidoso in the mountains. Engine temp
stayed around 200 and oil pressure about 60-70.

T. Bloxom
1985 M1009 CUCV