Re: [MV] Brake fluid replacement question

From: Richard Notton (Richard@fv623.demon.co.uk)
Date: Fri Aug 10 2001 - 22:59:29 PDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jumpmaster" <the_real_jumpmaster@yahoo.com>
Sent: Saturday, August 11, 2001 12:48 AM
Subject: Re: [MV] Brake fluid replacement question

> Try this...I wrote it for the M38A1, but it should be
> essentially the same procedure for most military
> vehicles. If not, don't use it. :-)
>
> http://http.tamu.edu/~tmb9855/brakes.html

The only small point of possible conflict as the original question concerned
silicon fluid is the reference to DOT 5 fluid which is the latest spec
"ordinary" brake fluid, silicon is DOT 5.1 and this unfortunate
classification causes no end of confusion.

> Good luck! You need denatured alcohol for the
> flush...I wasn't able to find any because it's
> classified as a "hazardous substance"(!) but luckily
> an acquaintance had some.

Gosh; what I call methylated spirits - wood alcohol, highly miscible with
water and used for pre-heating kerosene pressure lamps, as anti-freeze in
screen wash water, up-market cook-it-at-the-table restaurant burner things,
tiny model steam engine heaters and a general solvent, to be had in every
hardware store. How ever do you get by without it ?

Richard
Southampton - England