Re: [MV] Weare Photos

From: Geoff Winnington-Ball (gwball@sympatico.ca)
Date: Sun Aug 12 2001 - 17:55:07 PDT

Richard Notton wrote:

> Whilst Ford and Chevrolet (Canada) generally matched each other in parallel
> production, I am intrigued why some models are peculiar to each, all the HU
> types for example was Chevy only and others looking at Vanderveen's list
> also.

Yes, it's interesting to note that while Ford and GM Engineering
Departments corroborated on the development of the basic CMP design,
they went their own ways thereafter (and forever, it seems). Never mind
oddities such as this Heavy Utility, think of the armour alone... GM
with the Fox, Otter and C15TA Armoured Truck, Ford with the
Universal/Windsor Carriers and the Lynx Scout Car.

Could you for a minute imagine a GM-manufactured carrier complete with
12-volt electrical system and 270ci straight-six? Magnificent... Nigel
Watson wouldn't have broken down in the arena! Bloody Ford electrical
systems... :-)

> Regretfully no, but I claim encroaching old age and many interesting people
> causing overload of the five remaining brain cells. Had you mentioned this
> unique truck at the time I might have had better recall, my loss.

No, my fault, doubtless, although you may have been off at the stalls
when Philip and his wife dropped by to introduce themselves - a real
shame. He's an amazing gentleman, and as both an American and a
long-time CMP owner, few and far between. It was a real pleasure to
finally make his acquaintance after years of emailing inanities back and
forth! I hope he attends again soon...

> Indeed you'll never see the 9.25 x 16s now in that peculiarly Canadian
> pattern, however, Ferret 9.00 x 16 T24 Trakgrip are available and have the
> classic long sidewall lug every other bar, these are run-flats of course and
> each one is a potential hernia to lift.

Funnily enough, the predominance of HUs throughout the world these days
would indicate they've survived far in advance of their other CMP
cousins. Would that SOMEONE, ANYWHERE, had a proper tyre for these poor
wee beasties!!!!

Yes, the Trakgrips will just have to do in the interim... :-)

> It is customary to see the bridge plate and BO light replaced with regular
> headlights here as this is the one bit of law that is retrospective,
> vehicles must have two headlights; pre-war it was common to have the outer
> light (RHS) go off and the inner (LHS) dip left either with a dual filament
> bulb or often a solenoid that swivelled the whole reflector assembly, this
> is now both illegal and dangerous.
>
> Detachable lights are accepted though and allow the vehicle to be
> show-ground correct, we fear in some trepidation the full harmonisation of
> EU law which will doubtless be to the most stringent member standard.

I think you have a LOT more to fear from the EU than just an
infringement on your right to parade vehicles as they were originally
kitted. It's funny (rather, NOT so funny), but during our three weeks in
the U.K., we never found a single Brit, Scot or Welshman actually in
FAVOUR of the imminent Union. Leads me to ask, why on earth is it
progressing over your way?

[Arbitrary MV Content addendum to above] -- MV collectors in the United
Kingdom enjoy an enormous amount of freedom with regards the ownership,
operation and display of period military vehicles. While I am admittedly
biased (English and Scottish roots), it's frightening to think that all
this might one day be subject to the whim of some nameless bureaucrat in
some faceless EU building in Brussels.

> I am waiting to see the pictures of the special CMP only gathering at
> Beltring this year appear on MLU, Geoff ?

I've got mine back, but your own Chris Shillito beat me to it! Mine will
be scanned shortly and posted with appropriate comments, but in the
meantime, please see the page which Chris has just posted in our honour
and on our behalf:

http://home.freeuk.net/armourinfocus/beltring2001/mlu/index.htm

Richard, Dave, Rory, Tim, Allan et al, thank you again for your amazing
hospitality at Beltring this year! It's people like you which keep
bringing us back year after year. Richard, please pass along our
comments to those not online. We'll see you again NEXT summer!

Geoff