Re: [MV] Fryer fat in a deuce??

From: Mark J. Blair (mblair1@home.net)
Date: Mon Aug 13 2001 - 08:56:47 PDT

JJ&A <w7ls@blarg.net> wrote:
> There are stories of people using fryer fat (well, oil, I
> suppose)from McDonalds,etc. to use as fuel in diesel engines. [...]
> For the sake of argument, let us assume that it has been
> ultrafiltered, so there are no little chunks of fries, bugs, etc.

>From what I've read, it takes a bit more work than just skimming out
the Chicken McNuggets. The final commercial product is called
"BioDiesel", in case anybody want's to do more research on using this
stuff in their MVs. Here's an article about a do-it-himselfer who runs
his VW Vanagon on fryer oil:

    http://www.bitblaster.com/~jon/Kenneke76.pdf

I'd be very interested in hearing about anybody who successfully runs
their diesel MV on home-made fuel, how much it costs, what sort of
effort is required to manufacture the fuel, any required vehicle
modifications, and how you managed to satisfy and/or avoid the Road
Tax Collector.

According to that article, it's not too difficult to experiment with
BioDiesel. However, I'd rather let somebody else experiment with using
it in a deuce first, since a 15,000 pound deuce with a blown engine is
a bit harder to deal with than a little VW Vanagon... :-)

--
PGP 2.6.2 public key available from http://www.keyserver.net/
Web page: http://www.qsl.net/ke6myk/