Stupid question of the month award: M16 rifle mounts in M1009 CUCV???

From: Jumpmaster (the_real_jumpmaster@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Aug 13 2001 - 19:39:31 PDT

Hello listfolk...

Well, I was getting curious and wanted to see how well
an AR-15 would fit into the M16 rifle mounts behind
the driver's seat in my nice, new M1009. The only
problem is it doesn't fit...at all. The butt stock
fits the bottom bracket on the floor but the "hook"
part of the upper bracket will not fit around the
handguards at all.

Am I missing something? Am I just not too bright??
The AR-15 I was attempting to fit is a standard AR-15
(not the CAR-15) with standard barrel. It *appears*
that the only way this would ever fit is if it was a
CAR-15...the upper bracket isn't anywhere near in the
right place for a standard one to fit.

Any ideas? If someone has a digital camera and can
take a picture of their weapon mounted in one of these
mounts, that would help tremendously. A picture's
worth a thousand words and I'd probably be able to
take one look at it (slap my forehead) and figure it
out. :-)

Thanks for any pointers!

T. Bloxom
1985 (USMC) M1009 CUCV

p.s. Also wondering the best way to repaint the USMC
markings on the doors...any other markings it should
have from USMC service? All I can locate are very,
very faded USMC service numbers on the doors...