Re: [MV] Fryer fat in a deuce??

From: Jim Webster (jimweb@simonides.org)
Date: Thu Aug 16 2001 - 11:18:34 PDT

Richard Notton wrote:

> One of the most scary things is a very worn diesel engine running away on
> its own engine oil, the most scary thing is a Chieftain L60 with failed
> blower shaft seals (quite common) dieseling its copious supply of pressure
> fed engine oil. Usually the crew bail out PDQ and keep their heads down as
> the engine deck blows off to be quickly followed by various large and fast
> pieces of L60, like most of the block, rods and pistons.

I only ever saw that once in our regiments 8 year dalliance with
Chieftains and that was with a brand-new engine being installed in a
Chieftain 3/3. The fitters tucked it inside, connected everything up and
started it. It immediately went to warp speed revs then there were
fitters jumping off it everywhere followed by various bits of the engine
- some of which went almost as far as the Fitters....

We always thought that the main problems with the engine were that it
wasn't used enough after the mileage restrictions were introduced. If
you treated it like s**t and ran it under load all the time it seemed to
be remarkably fault free. Mind you those were the days when the engines
were new and were not on their 10th or 12th rebuild...

TTFN
Jim
ICQ: 58721472 [usually online 1500-2300 UK Time]