M36C info?

From: Russell Hill (russell@cyberport.com)
Date: Fri Aug 17 2001 - 13:55:04 PDT

Greetings to all,

I just dragged a 1958 M36C W/WN home from the scrapyard. It has a
continental gas engine, Stock number 2320-200-1369, Serial number M46787.
The bed is a loong dropside with a plate that says "Truck Surv, Drone
Handling V-166/USD-1, Serial number 76.

The truck is in rough shape but looks fairly complete and straight. A
little rust damage under the doors. Someone took off the middle axle and
it's sitting in the bed (with a nice looking hardtop). Missing some
driveshafts. It no longer has a winch but I think I have that too from an
earlier scrapyard trip (Braden LU-4, does that sound correct?). The engine
(continental gas) looks surprisingly good, turns easily by hand, and has
good clean oil.

I'll probably get to this and fix it up eventually (it's on my list!) but if
anyone is interested in it I'd sell it too (it's along list). I'll email
pictures to anyone that would like them. If anyone has any information
about these trucks I'd love to hear it. There's a picture of one in
Crismon's U.S. Wheeled Military Vehicles, page 340 and it's mentioned in
"The Std Catalog of Military Vehicles" pages 113-118.

Happy Motoring!

Russell
La Plata, NM (four corners area)
M29's, M211's, M38A1, CCKW, M36C, M51A2