M222 2.5-ton water tank truck opinions

From: Mark J. Blair (mblair1@home.net)
Date: Wed Aug 22 2001 - 08:35:31 PDT

What would y'all think about using an M222 water tank truck (GMC
gas-powered 2.5-ton truck from M135/M211 series, with auto tranny) as
a workhorse to haul potable water to a property with no city water or
well, that doubles as a nice addition to the ol' green truck fleet?

I'm currently looking for a property for the future home of Mark's
Green Truck Ranch, and I'm brainstorming my options. Assume that I'd
be hauling the water, say, 5-20 miles on pavement and 2-5 miles on
dirt roads, and that I wouldn't be in a hurry. :-)

I thought of using an M222 instead of a multifuel because I already
have a few multifuel 2.5 and 5 ton trucks, and I thought that another
family of deuce might be a nice change of pace. I like variety in my
collection. I'll happily read any opinions about the multifuel variety
of water tank truck, too.

I'm not actually looking at any particular trucks right now. I'm just
wondering whether hauling my water would be a viable option (assuming
that it would satisfy the building permit guys), and I figured there's
probably somebody out there who has experience with this particular
type of truck.

I talked to the city water guys regarding one property I'm
considering, and their fee to re-connect the water meter that's
ALREADY ON THE PROPERTY would be comparable to the cost of drilling a
well (grrr!), they can't promise at this time that they would even
consent to re-connecting it, neither option guarantees an adequate
water supply for various reasons (I won't bother y'all with the
details), and I think that the purchase price of a nice M222 would be
a small fraction of the cost of drilling a well in this area. Thus,
I'm investigating other options before I make an offer on the
property, so I'll know exactly what I'm getting into.

Thanks in advance for any opinions!

Maybe I should close with "Keep `em Dripping!" :-)

--
PGP 2.6.2 public key available from http://www.keyserver.net/
Web page: http://www.qsl.net/ke6myk/