Re: [MV] M38 tailgate & utility...

From: Colin Macgregor Stevens (seaforth72@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Aug 22 2001 - 17:52:30 PDT

The anti-tank 106mm conversion probably removed the tailgate (this was the
case on the M38A1CDN 106 mm RR jeeps) and possibly configurations. Spare
tire mounts on right side, near rear - those 4 holes are from the civilian
body design and although they apparently fit some antennae bases, were
originally for the civilian spare tire mount and this feature, as well as
the dimples in the body tub for the footman loops behind the front seats for
the civilian half cab. Jerrican could be mounted on one side further forward
as I recall with drilled holes.

There is a 1952 Ford M38CDN jeep about 1/2 hours from my place that is still
all original including markings, and had Jerrican and spare tire mounts
moved. There are Royal Canadian Corps of Signals markings still on the
vehicle.

Colin Macgregor Stevens
**** My e-mail system lost 34 messages 2001 July 28, and another 20 or so on
Aug 1/2.. If you wrote then and have had no reply, please send again. ****
NEW E-MAIL ADDRESS to try to avoid lost messages: seaforth72@hotmail.com
Can still reach me at old one: colin@pacdat.net
MVPA Member 954 (since 1977)
Editor: "Maple Leaf Up!" newsletter & Webmaster
of Western Command Military Vehicle Historical Society
(Established 1977) http://www.westerncommand.com
Pitt Meadows (East of Vancouver but not beyond Hope)
British Columbia, CANADA
Owner of:
1944 Willys MB jeep (ex-Norway)
http://bcoy1cpb.pacdat.net/colin_stevens'_1944_willys_mb_photos.htm