deuce front axle oil seal

From: GaryM52679@aol.com
Date: Thu Aug 23 2001 - 08:22:51 PDT

Hi y'all.

I have a 1970 General deuce and a half with front differential oil dripping
from the boot by the front wheel. Apparently it's a worn oil seal, but I
can't get the inner seal out. It's the seal that keeps the oil from the
differential oil from leaking out by the wheel (not the bigger grease seal).
It has what appears to be a large washer-like retainer stuck in front of it,
preventing it from coming out.

This retainer is supposed to come out, right?

I don't have to dismantle the differential and pull the seal out through the
"pumpkin", do I? Do any of you know any tricks to get the seal out?

thanks

Gary