Re: [MV] Military Trains (modern)

From: A762x54mm@aol.com
Date: Thu Aug 23 2001 - 20:03:57 PDT

In a message dated 8/23/01 8:23:31 PM Central Daylight Time, kosh@nesys.com
writes:

<< Subj: [MV] Military Trains (modern)
 Date: 8/23/01 8:23:31 PM Central Daylight Time
 From: kosh@nesys.com (Dave Merchant)
 Sender: mil-veh@mil-veh.org
 To: mil-veh@mil-veh.org

 Just saw a huge eastbound military movement on the
 ex-LS+MS, ex-NYC, ex-PC, ex-CR, now-CSX mainline thru NE Ohio.
 Going fast!

 Any of you in northern PA or upstate NY might run outside to take a look,
 (assuming it doesn't turn right at Ashtabula).

 An absolute mishmash of everything in the current inventory,
 loaded in no apparent order, with a long string of 20 foot ISO boxes
 on flats in the middle of the train.

 Included zillions of humvees in every configuration, many with doors off,
 all forms of HMMT, bunch of lowboy transporters, one dozer,
 a couple longarm forklifts, etc etc. Mostly green, some tan.

 ...but now to my question...
 ...is there a DOD directive that they MUST be run just after sundown,
 so it's impossible to take pictures?

 If I'd had my low-light video camera along, it would have been a great
 piece of tape!

 BTW, did not hear the usual security escort chatter on the scanner this time,
 otherwise I might have been better prepared.

 -Dave Merchant

We have been loading MV's for overseas shipment all week at the Port of
Houston. Port of discharge "classified". But they are being loaded for a
Americana Ships (Canadian flag vessel) bound for the Med. Mostly Humvees,
trailers and some APC looking track vehicles (not Bradleys). Tan, OD and
woodland camo colors. Fun to drive!

Gene