Re: [MV] Getting a vehicle titled in Texas

From: A762x54mm@aol.com
Date: Fri Aug 24 2001 - 20:08:35 PDT

In a message dated 8/24/01 3:48:59 PM Central Daylight Time,
rc_hayes1@juno.com writes:

<< Here is my 2 cents worth. First, I believe that the Legislators want us
 to buy Texas first, therefore no new tax if you purchase your vehicle in
 Texas. >>

I am sure the importer of the vehicle is passing the extra tax along to the
end user. The reason they are importing so many vehicles to Texas is to
supply a demanding used car market. Texas cannot supply the needed vehicles
to the consumer at the price that the dealers want to pay.
And believe me, I have investigated, if you bring a vehicle into Texas and
want to transfer the out of state title and get Texas tags, you will pay the
fee for out of state title transfer.

<<Second, Texas has a reciprocal tax agreement with a few states,
which when moving to Texas, they don't have to pay a tax on their car.>>

I think the agreement you are speaking of is confined to the collection of
sales taxes. But I am not here to debate that.

Importing a vehicle titled in another state will still invoke the new fee
after Sept 1st.
Key phrase here is "titled in another state." From the lips of the Harris
County tax assesor collectors office.

Good hunting

Gene
BTW, I would love to see yor represenative comment on this.......