Re: [MV] WW-2 Wireless equipment for sale

From: Colin Macgregor Stevens (seaforth72@hotmail.com)
Date: Sun Aug 26 2001 - 10:08:26 PDT

Dennis Schneider is a surplus dealer in Belgium I believe.

He is the same fellow who has a warehouse full of original unrestored, not
running MB-GPW jeeps (ex-Greek Army I believe). A photo of this incredible
hoard of jeeps was published in the MVPA Supply Line a little while ago. He
had originally wanted to sell all of the jeeps in one lot, for over $300,000
US. Later he relented and agreed to sell jeeps individually for $7,500 US
each I think. I do not know if any have sold because that is still not a
bargain price when one factors in shipping to North America, the non-running
condition, costs of restoration, and the unknown factor of how many parts
are mixed Ford-Willys-Willys of France (common for jeeps coming out of
European service). I know, I have a Willys MB that came back from Norway
through another source. Mind you, he can argue - where else can you go to a
warehouse and pick out a WWII jeep from among dozens of them lined up on
shelves! Sounds a bit like the good old surplus days of the 1950s, except
for the price. He finds some amazing stuff, and prefers to sell in bulk. Big
dollars so I believe he prefers to deal with wholesale buyers rather than
with individual collectors.

It is nice to know that the stuff is STILL out there and someday someone who
needs a B set aerial for a Wireless Set # 19 can hopefully buy it retail -
without having to buy 7 to 8 container loads of other radio gear!

Don't worry about the language. His English may be better than your French.

Having said that, I do not KNOW Mr. Schneider so I cannot vouch for him. His
stuff is also in the "West" and not in the former Soviet Union where there
are other complications.

As always, "Caveat emptor" (Latin for buyer beware). For that radio gear
deal, one would want to fly over and have a look at it anyway.

Colin Macgregor Stevens
**** My e-mail system lost 34 messages 2001 July 28, and another 20 or so on
Aug 1/2.. If you wrote then and have had no reply, please send again. ****
NEW E-MAIL ADDRESS to try to avoid lost messages: seaforth72@hotmail.com
Can still reach me at old one: colin@pacdat.net
MVPA Member 954 (since 1977)
Editor: "Maple Leaf Up!" newsletter & Webmaster
of Western Command Military Vehicle Historical Society
(Established 1977) http://www.westerncommand.com
Pitt Meadows (East of Vancouver but not beyond Hope)
British Columbia, CANADA
Owner of:
1944 Willys MB jeep (ex-Norway)
http://bcoy1cpb.pacdat.net/colin_stevens'_1944_willys_mb_photos.htm