Re: [MV] M816 Wrecker

From: chance wolf (timberwolf@wheeldog.net)
Date: Sat Aug 25 2001 - 20:17:10 PDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Wayne Harris" <papercu@hotmail.com>
Sent: Saturday, August 25, 2001 7:43 PM
Subject: [MV] M816 Wrecker

> HiO List Did the M816 Wrecker have the Cummins engine? Any major faults
with
> this type of truck? Thanks in advance. Wayne

It has the Cummins 250 engine, and the engine itself seems to have few
faults (if ours is anything to go by), though I've already done a
transmission and clutch on the thing, and am now looking at an air-pack. No
big deal as all are readily available (in fact, I think clutch/pressure
plate were the same as the M54 5-tonner), and it's a pleasure to
drive/operate in contrast to our awful gas-pot M62 (wonderful
acceleration - zero-to-broke in four seconds flat!)

We have one Cummins 250-equipped M813A1 cargo that has been retrofitted by
the previous owner by the addition of a Turbo, and it moves like a scared
cat on a greased slope. Now, everyone else and their dog has advised me
that you can't retrofit a turbo to anything other than a Cummins 400 - but
ours seems to put a bit of a crimp in their theory - and it hasn't given us
a moment's trouble WRT engine in many thousands of miles.

Andy Hill
MVPA 9211
Vancouver, B.C.