Mule Skinners

From: Emmett Thompson (kt4al@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Sun Aug 26 2001 - 18:31:45 PDT

Hello guys;
I am sorry but I have to brag. I have been laid off for 2 weeks now so I
figured I would work on my M274 (A-nothing), after all I think I already
bought all the parts I thought I would need. You know, it is either time and
no money or visa versa.
I started rebuilding the drop axles and inspected the transmission. I had
rebuilt the engine a couple of months ago. I sand blasted the whole lower
assembly. It is amazing where the sand will show up. Not only in every
orifice of my body but in places of the mule you would not expect. Sooooo I
spent a whole day blowing and wiping unwanted blasting sand from everywhere.
I then shot a good epoxy primer on the whole shootin match, then shot the MC
forest green paint. NICE. I had to put the front bumper under a hydraulic
press and straighten it ( whatever the yahoo hit I'll bet it threw him on
his ass) and then fill/weld in a hole that "bubba" drilled into it. Looks
new!!

I have located all the little parts like the "PAL" 7/16 lock nuts, and other
weird little things that the mule is noted for. Everything on the lower
section is together and tomorrow morning I will shoot the second coat of
paint. I cannot wait to see how good it looks. I do not want to go overboard
and make it look better than it did from Willys factory so I have looked at
all the manual pix and stopped there.

The only non standard thing I did is to install a electric starter. I
understand that the proto-types had one and after a lot of research by
George Kellner and some parts hunt'in, redneck micrometers and guessing we
have come up with a starter kit for these 4 cyl beasts. It works great!

We have also started building tow bars that look JUST like the NOS ones. Now
due to popular demand we have started on the "crank".

I feel like a proud father lookin at this thing.if anyone out
there has ANY questions ie; how to work with magnesium, wheel alignment,
engine overhaul, lower section overhaul, etc Either I or George will try and
answer. I feel like a MULE aficionado after all the work and mistakes.

I feel better now, no one in the family appreciates the time/work and almost
anal attention to detail than you guys.

Regards
Emmett