Re: [MV] Getting a Car titled in Texas

From: Jumpmaster (the_real_jumpmaster@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Aug 27 2001 - 08:37:29 PDT

--- "Turman, David C." <david_turman@kindermorgan.com>
wrote:
> Since I am in the middle of registering an out
> of state car in Houston, I called the Tax Assessors
> office about this. They actually had me call
> the DMV. According to them (and I asked 3
> times to clarify) the fee goes from $1.00 currently
> to $225.00 after the 1st of November for some
> green sheet form you need......

Hi Dave...I ran into this last week. The fee is for
inspection of a vehicle currently titled in a
different state when you try to get it titled in
Texas. The fee is the "inspection" fee and that's
where you get the green slip. It's no different than
any other regular safety inspection -- it just costs
$225.00 instead of the $12.50 for vehicles currently
titled in Texas.

I would call your tax office and speak to someone
else...I talked to 3 different folks at my tax office
and all told me the same thing (that it starts after
the 1st of September). The inspection station
verified this also...In any case, I would try to get
the vehicle inspected ASAP just in case it really is
the 1st of September.

Good luck...

T. Bloxom