Re: [MV] Air Force M37???

From: DDoyle9570@aol.com
Date: Mon Aug 27 2001 - 13:43:55 PDT

In a message dated 8/27/01 11:50:20 AM Central Standard Time,
j.garrett@gte.net writes:

<< There are (or were) several big Air Force bases in that general area. The
 Navy used grey, so my bet is you have an ex Air Force truck. Pretty cool!!

Just have a few minutes before I leave for Detroit, so can't look up all
details now, BUT I have copies of original contract to Reo motors in 1953 for
a LARGE number of M35's for a variety of services. This document specifies a
variety of colors.

Here are a couple
"Color- Olive Drab with Gloss Black Markings (Navy)"
There are several line items like this, many noted "Req. No. Navy MT-757",
although there are a few more numbers as well.

"For the Air Force, with soft top cab, Dry Charged Batteries, Color-Olive
Drab with No Markings"

All the Air Force trucks in this contract appear to be for MDAP. This is
likely to be why they are green. At this time, Air Force trucks overseas
carried the national symbol (star), but the ones listed above have no
markings.
I have personally seen a number of M35 trucks in the 1952-53 range where the
original color was Strata Blue. Coincidentally all of these trucks were
built by Studebaker rather than Reo. I hope to review the Studebaker
archives in the near future.

Back to the original question....yep an Air Force M37 would likely be Strata
Blue, yellow markings, no stars, although overall yellow is another
possibility, as would be OD.

Hope this helps,
David Doyle