RE: M35A2 Woes

From: Joe Garrett (j.garrett@gte.net)
Date: Mon Aug 27 2001 - 17:51:55 PDT

I have an M109A2 shop van (LDT 465-1C) that runs great when it is first
started. Once the oil pressure is up, it starts making a loud hammering
noise. It is so loud that I can't tell if it is coming from the top or
bottom of the engine. The fact that it doesn't start up for a minute or two
after the engine is running makes me think that it is not a rod. It seems
like a spun rod bearing would make noise from the instant the engine
started.

I have a school bus with an International DT466 diesel turbo that does the
same damned thing. Both vehicles keep great oil pressure and neither
smokes.

Is it possible that this is caused by a stuck lifter? Do these symptoms
sound familiar to anyone else?

Joe Garrett
cell 425-344-1402