Re: [MV] Who made best jeep?

From: Renaud OLGIATI (rolgiati@bigfoot.com)
Date: Wed Aug 29 2001 - 12:54:32 PDT

On Tuesday 28 August 2001 23:34, I was honoured by a missive from
JaxInCalifornia@aol.com that said :
> Obviously there are many countries who make a 4 wheel drive tactical or
> light truck now. Of all those countries from say 1950 until today, who do
> you think made the best? I said 1950 in order to allow other nations to
> get up to speed with the US Willys jeep. At any rate, it is subjective
> question for sure, but I would be interested in the responses.
>
> Rovers, Willys, Saurer 2DM, Unimog S, Pinzgauer/Puch, Valps, Toyota
> Landcruiser, UAZ 469, etc. Anything stand out as a winner in your book?

Although it is only two-wheel drive, my vote would be for the VX Kuebelwagen;

In spite of the two-wheel drive It goes cross-counry much better than the
jeep thanks to its auto-locking differential, very high ground clearance and
flat underside and it is vry much more comfortable than the Jeep with its4
independent wheels suspension.

The soldiers in 1945 did back this superiority: the unofficial rate of
exchange then was two jeeps for one kuebelwagen !

For the more modern contender, my choice would be the DKW Munga.

Cheers,

Ron.

--
                         Have you ever imagined a world