Re-engine question

From: Don Kitchen (dkitchen@pobox.mtaonline.net)
Date: Sun Sep 02 2001 - 17:30:47 PDT

I recently bought about half of a M3A1 White Scout Car. I got it without an
engine or transmission. The original engine was a 320 ci straight six that
developed about 220 lbs of torque at just over 1,000 rpms. When finished,
the total weight will be about 12,000 lbs. I want an engine/tranny combo
that will be inexpensive to purchase and maintain. I am also not an engine
guy, so it must also not be an exotic mix. I can go either gas or diesel
for the engine, and manual or automatic for the transmission. What can the
list suggest?