Re: [MV] 12v vs 24 V

From: jim gilmore (jgilmore@ptd.net)
Date: Mon Sep 03 2001 - 15:46:35 PDT

Dave wrote:
>.............. If you go way back I believe
>they first used 6 volts just like everyone else. I believe the 24 volts came
>in when radios became a necessity.

      While the early MV's were 6 volt, units that were designed for radios
(Command cars, M-29 Weasels, M-3 light tanks for example) were 12 volts.
Some tanks in WW II (M-18 for example) used 24 volt systems.

>The first radios required tubes and were
>not efficient.

   Even the later post war series of radios (VRC 8/9/10) used tubes but ran
off 24 volts from the primary power source.

> Cables have to be at least twice as big with 12 volts and power
>losses in twelve volt systems are much greater than 24 volt systems.

    Cables such as battery cables are LARGER in 6 volt systems than 12 volt
ones. Often vehicles that are six volt can be found with 12 volt cables on
them and the owners are always complaining that they never start or crank
well. 6 volt systems must use 6 volt battery cables to have the starting
system operate properly.

      The actual reason for the change to a 24 volt system on the later "M"
series vehicles is (as Dave pointed out) for the use of radios. There are
other benefits of 24 volts but this is the main reason for the change.

Jim

   NOTE NEW ADDRESS----NOTE NEW ADDRESS---NOTE NEW ADDRESS------AS OF
JANUARY 4, 2001---------

Jim Gilmore