Lights and Guns

From: William R. Benson (Benson@eqe.com)
Date: Thu Sep 06 2001 - 16:13:25 PDT

Hallo folks!

The light situation is easy to resolve; put a cover on it until you reach the
re-enactment site or display area. Simple, unless you are a reserve officer or
volunteer firefighter who is authorized to operate these lights in public.

The mounting of guns, on the other hand, gets a little tricky:

I don't care WHAT type of weapon, real or not, you are planning on displaying,
the first thing you had better do is let the loical law know what to expect.
Maybe even go so far as to arrange with their PR department to display your
club's trucks to them (cops are just as facinated by our toys as anybody else,
you just can't get them to admit it...) Let them see who you are, and what you
have. Make friends, and then, when you are planning to move your vehicle, give
all of the police departments along your route a courtesy call, telling them
that you'll be moving your vehicle and weapons from one place to another.
Follow the same rule as the military: With the exception of turret main guns,
you only mount your weapons on a road trip if you are expecting a fight. This
means that you mount your weapons once you are at the reenactment sirte or
display area, and not when you are in an "admin" convoy.

Now you can shout "It's my right to mount my machineguns!" all the way to the
pearly gates, and we'll all be sad that some rookie cop determined that you were
a threat and ventilated you, or you can play it safe. be nice, and never, ever
have to look down the business end of a nervous cop's 9mm.

It's the old vinegar and honey dilemma...

Bill