Re: [MV] Lights and Sirens on MVs (An unpopular view)

From: DDoyle9570@aol.com
Date: Fri Sep 07 2001 - 05:55:12 PDT

All of this discussion has made me curious what my home state (Tennessee)
laws on this matter are (not that they are likely to influence what I do).

Most, if not all, states laws can be found at:
http://198.187.128.12/
enter your state when site opens, that what type of law you seek.

I have an antique military fire truck, complete with red lights and siren.
Only time I remember operating same is in parade with 30 or so other fire
trucks. According to Tennessee law, everyone in my antique fire truck club
is in violation, because we all have forward facing red or white lights
INSTALLED.

Tennessee code says that you can't add flashing lights in grill or taillight
area of vehicle unless specifically authorized (police, fire, etc.).

It is also unlawful for a vehicle to have a siren INSTALLED with few
exceptions, my fire truck MAY slide by on this, since it is a fire truck.
However, my buddies M20 definitely is in violation.

Blue lights are prohibited from being installed, maintained or exhibited.

Only mention of amber lights is requirement on oversize vehicles and funeral
processions.

Practically speaking, our local MVPA group tries to travel in convoy, usually
with a M62 with amber beacon in front and another vehicle (deuce or 151) with
amber beacon in rear. Been past hundreds of law enforcement types with no
problem.
I feel this is all based largely on discretion of police, which is based on
common sense of MV driver.

My . 02,
DD