CCKW resto 250hrs..+For Sale..Jeep Amphib & Dodge 6wheeler

From: tonygull (tonygull@ozemail.com.au)
Date: Fri Sep 07 2001 - 14:48:00 PDT

Firstly the Dodge and Jeep.
They are for sale on Saturday, I only just
found out. The guy is retiring and selling due to age and health.
He has been in transport all his working life.

He wants $Aus 14,000 (US $7000)for the Dodge 6 wheel WC type.
It is restored and complete
and looks very original.I wouls describe it as excellent condition.
I think the price he wants is slightly on the high side

The amphibious Jeep is also very good...he told me he
knocked back AUS $60,000 recently, I dont know what they
are worth.

Also had a Maple leaf truck and stacks of other gear.
No GMCs tho...said he had an engine block.
Told me he had many GMCs previously, reckoned they were
superior to later 4 and 6 wheel trucks used by the Oz army,
based on his experience which included driving a convoy of
Perkins powered GMCs to Cape York...6000 miles return, tropical
jungle, also said he used to regularly cart 12 tonne of wheat.
Also mentioned that a single jinker log truck was weighed at
Qurindi for being over and ended up having 32 tons of logs.

With respect to my CCKW 353 I have reached the 250hr mark in
my resto, and have almost completed the cab rebuild.
It turned out taking longer than i thought due to the extent
of corrosion, substantial welding, rivetting and fibreglass fil
had already taken place, exposed by my sandblasting.

It left me in a dilemna somewhat...it would be nice to form
entirely new sheet metal, but this proved impossibe.time wise,I would
have had to remake amlost everything..in the end i used a
variety of methods, as had previously been done, and this brings me
to part 2 of my dilemna..Paint..due to the fact that the bonnet
in particular cannot be made smooth without a lot of work, I am
now considering camouflage colors in order to NOT highlight
the fact that this truck has been dented, rent and beaten during
its 40yr+ working life. I have used premium products and repaired
everything till it looks good to my eye..I am used to Jaguars tho
this is not a Jag...I do not like OD as an allover color, sorry.

I dont want to spend the next month filling and sanding.
Shiny paint may not look good anyway
Would it be innappropriate to paint it this way?(camouflage)
What are other restorers doing?
I hope to paint soon and have fallen a bit behind in
my resto schedule. I had previously been considering dark green
2-pac with a flattener, similar to Oz army. The chassis, difs
and bars etc are in shiny black epoxy (POR15)

                                                regards tony