Re: [MV] M75 and Sexton for sale

From: Geoff Winnington-Ball (gwball@sympatico.ca)
Date: Sat Sep 08 2001 - 15:01:03 PDT

GR --

Actually, it's an interesting story in itself, the M-7 part of it. On
D-Day, we actually had four assault artillery regiments in M-7s, which
came ashore in the Canadian sector and won high accolades for
themselves. The problem after that became, ironically, the Americans
themselves; while the vehicle and its excellent gun performed superbly,
there were NO replacement vehicles forthcoming due to American service
requirements, and after record expenditures of ammunition in June and
July in Normandy, there was no more 105mm ammo available either (the
Commonwealth didn't use that round). Hence, the conversion of the
existing Priests to APC use (a first in any event!) and the adoption of
a 'domestic' SPG, the Sexton.

I REALLY want to see these vehicles saved. Thanks for your input today!

Geoff

--
Regards,

Geoff Winnington-Ball MAPLE LEAF UP! ==> Zephyr, Ontario, Canada ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Maple Leaf Up - The Canadian Army Overseas in WW2 http://www.mapleleafup.org <sunray@mapleleafup.org> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 1st Canadian Armoured Carrier Regiment http://www.1cacr.org <info@1cacr.org> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~