Re: [MV] eBay intrusion, another option

From: John A. Hern Jr (hern@nidlink.com)
Date: Sun Sep 09 2001 - 08:03:45 PDT

I've been really annoyed by cookies for years. On Netscape Navigator, I
went to EDIT, PREFERENCES, ADVANCED, COOKIES and set it for "Accept only
cookies that get sent back to sender"; and "Warn me before accepting cookies"

Then I tried sending an email to an eBay seller. It went just fine.

What I did notice, however, was that a very large number of cookies were
coming from "Ads.web.AOL.com" Hmm, not exactly eBay, now, is it? So
much for their "honesty" and "privacy" policy, if they are sending cookies
to AOL for their ad department, eh?

Yes, eBay is a private company, and if we want to use their services we
have to abide by their policies. But, they are the only game in town -
just like the electric comany. Now, the electric company is regulated,
because if they weren't, guess who would be getting reamed, just like we
are getting reamed by eBay. I'm all for private entreprise, I own a
business myself. But, this sort of corporate arrogance is why everyone
hates Microsoft; and it's nothing new. The abuses of the Trusts over 100
years ago led to laws and regulations, and the abuses of eBay and Microsoft
will lead to more. Til then, we have to figure ways to throw sand in their
gears. Every little bit helps... :-)

At 07:23 AM 9/9/01 -0700, David wrote:

>eBay gives you the absolute right to not have cookies, and that is by opting
>out of eBay.
>
>eBay is a business, it's like a store on the boulevard. You walk past the
>store and see what's happening inside. There is a sign on the outside which
>says

After due consideration, I think the sign says "eBay - where we will take a
percentage, sell your email address to anyone we can, prohibit sales of
stuff we think isn't P.C. but ignore crooked sellers, and send out endless
form letters to anyone who complains. If you don't like it, tough
shit. We are the only game in town."

John