RE: [MV] weight of Deuce

From: Joe Garrett (j.garrett@gte.net)
Date: Mon Sep 10 2001 - 08:54:35 PDT

I'm sorry to be argumentative, but this is simply wrong. The registration
of a commercial truck, and all the regulations for its use are based on its
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating, which is the manufacturer's rating of its
carrying capacity. The data plate on your truck gives this as the dry
weight: M35A2 W/W= 23,530 lbs. and M35A2WO/W= 23,030 lbs. (By the way, since
I went and grabbed these data plates, the empty weights are M35A2 W/W=
13,530, and M35A2 WO/W= 13,030).

When you see a sign that says "No vehicles over 10 Tons" you had better not
go there in your deuce even if you just left the scales and you KNOW you
weigh only 7 tons. The reason is that the 10 Ton restiction is based on
your GVW, which is 11 to 12 Tons in a deuce.

In the State of WA. the registration is based on GVW, not empty weight. All
Federal Regulations concerning commercial vehicles are based on GVW, not
empty weight.

The Federal rule about CDL's is that if the GVW is over 26,000 lbs, you have
to have a Commercial License. This, too, is based on GVW, not empty weight.

Joe Garrett
cell 425-344-1402

>>Trucks only need to be registered for what they are carrying not for what
>>they can carry.

>>If you need to make a one-time haul of something heavy you can (sometimes)
>>apply for a temp permit to haul the extra load.

>>Most of the time, if you aren't hauling tons of junk you don't need to
worry
>>about it.

>>If you register it for 18500 (the threshold of pain for most) you'll have
>>5000lbs of payload to play with. That's a bunch!

-=-