Re: [MV] M75 and Sexton for sale

From: Richard Notton (Richard@fv623.demon.co.uk)
Date: Mon Sep 10 2001 - 13:35:23 PDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Geoff Winnington-Ball" <gwball@sympatico.ca>
Sent: Sunday, September 09, 2001 10:04 PM
Subject: Re: [MV] M75 and Sexton for sale

> > Likewise during the war and after tanks have been officially named with
> > words starting with C, there are a few exceptions for very good reason,
but
> > you have Comet, Cromwell, Churchill, Cruiser, Caernarvon, Centaur,
> > Centurion, Conqueror, and latterly Challenger I & II, and likely a few I
> > have missed.
>
> The Crusader immediately comes to mind of course... and from it, a
> pythonesque armoured car resulting from illicit relations between the
> exellent Staghound and the Crusader turret...

I certainly missed Covenanter (Mk V A13 MkIII), the original A30 Challenger
(Dec 43 to Aug 44), Crusader of course, Charioteer and Conqueror.

> > Alvis Motors cornered the market of S words and managed thereby to have
> > entirely appropriate names for their range of MVs depending on the
> > designated role, just the basic CVR(T) chassis in various guises is
aptly
> > named Scorpion, Scimitar, Sultan, Striker, Samson, Samaritan etc.
>
> Actually, I suspect the British Army itself cornered the market for
> s-words, having to deal with the aforementioned 'C-tanks'... :-)

Indeed so, my friendly REME Staff sergeant (AFV Wing - RCMS Shrivenham)
assures me that repairs and maintenance necessarily need these and I have
found too the large, heavy and oily bits of a 623 can only be encouraged to
both part company and later mate successfully with liberal application of
same.

Richard
STAL II 984
20ET51