Re: [MV] Woodson Bridge / Intrusions

From: Bill George (primemover@2xtreme.net)
Date: Mon Sep 10 2001 - 19:41:50 PDT

----- Original Message -----
From: <JaxInCalifornia@aol.com>
Sent: Sunday, September 09, 2001 9:43 AM
Subject: [MV] Woodson Bridge / Intrusions

> First comment.... Woodson's Bridge. Another great event! If you missed
it,
> start planning for next year, it's worth it. Save for sleeping in my
jeep,
> it went pretty well and I had a great time. The new jeep is just not as
> comfy as the old truck! Heck I had room for two king sized doubles in
that
> truck, now it's back to a 30 inch cot.

Jack is right on the money here...it was an awesome time!! If you couldn't
make it you missed out. Saturday night we even had a UH-1 helicopter arrive
(on a trailer) definitely a first for Woodson Bridge.

> It seemed to me that we had more jeeps of all types this year, excellent
> ones too, fully restored Mutts, vintage WWII eras Willy's and a couple of
> different "jeep type" imports like Carl Thompson's perfect Pinz or my new
> addition, the Volvo Valp.
>
> Like a lot of the vendors that have been coming for awhile, newbee Gene
> Pantano really had a nice assortment of parts at the right price, spent a
lot > of money at Gene's spot! FYI Bill George's Mutt was done to the max,
(Bill
> and Gene shared a spot too) not one more thing could have been added... >
anywhere, it was absolutely amazing. Great job Bill!

Thanks for the compliment Jack, now it's time to fully outfit that Volvo of
yours eh!! By the way I think I have an operators manual in the shop for
that radio. Thanks to Gene too for coming out. Had a great time and I think
we have Gene hooked now as long as the date change next year doesn't
interfere with hunting:)

> Due to some rare concellations by the old timers, a few of us generally
> content to camp somewhere in the sun and far from mainstream, wound up
with
> those shadey river front sites. These were cool, great views of the
> Sacramento just below the bluff, close to shower facilities, each had
power > hook ups, water and all for $17 per night! Such a deal!

Yep, I am finally on the side of the river:) Never giving my spot up and the
guy next to me lost out, I signed up for his spot next year too, two spots
on the river:)

> We did our parade into Corning as usual, but once again it was more like a
> fast caravan thru the main drag and if you happened to be on the sidewalk
and
> didn't look up in time, you likely missed it. I'm thinking it would be
> really nice for the mil vehicles to stop somewhere and let local people
look
> for an hour or so. But, that's not really my decision, just a
suggestion...
> if any of the MVCC'ers who organize Woodson's are reading this? Hmmm?
Sure
> would increase public awarness... thats a good thing, right?

Another problem, people left very early. I'm not talking a few people, like
more than half the people left Saturday afternoon. That really hurts the
MVCC and MVPA. A lot of people simply cannot get off work until Saturday
and Sunday. Say they drive an hour or more to come to the show, they arrive
and all they see are maybe two jeeps, a deuce and that's it, no vendors or
anything. That is exactly what happened Sunday. Several people arrived only
to find a handful of vehicles still there. That really hurts the membership.
Another problem was the lack of any kind of advertising on the road by the
campground. In fact the guy who brought the helicopter had a hell of a time
finding the place, as did I the first time I went. If I have to next year
I'll make my own cardboard sign to place out there.