Re: Decompression, was Terrorist Attack

From: cdavis (cdavis@webworldinc.com)
Date: Wed Sep 12 2001 - 17:16:46 PDT

Aircraft are not air tight, they just pump more air in than leaks out.

If you ever have a chance to stand by the door at altitude you can feel the
air leaking out. (At a pretty impressive rate on some of these machines.)

I suspect that with the exception of a few "lucky" shot spots, explosive
decompression would not result from 9mm holes poked in the skin... or even
window.

But I'm not an engineer... my opinion is based on my Airframe & Powerplant
Mechanics degree, which I'll admit I haven't used in a few years.

Chris Davis