Re: [MV] Actual MV content, moving green things . . .

From: Hummer1234@aol.com
Date: Fri Sep 14 2001 - 20:44:12 PDT

>I shipped a large 600 lb box wooden box
>from Indiana to Wyoming and they quoted me $350 delivered to a residence.

I have used a transportation broker for moving a Cummins 5.9 turbo-Diesel
with attached 4 speed automatic plus an additional pallet/box for the
additional parts (air box, fan, aftercooler, wiring harness, etc.) all for
repowering my M211. The two pallets, one oversize, weighed at least 1700 lb
and were shipped from Ft Worth, Texas to my door outside Seattle, Washington
for $500. OK, I do have a forklift, but it was a residential delivery. When
the "M211 parts" arrived I was happy to find a professional driver who was
polite, punctual and carrying a VERY nice V100 Commando for me to DROOL over
before he had to deliver it to Ft Lewis.

I just received a quote for moving my latest purchase 1400 miles from
Colorado Springs, CO to Redmond, WA. I purchased a cabover truck with a 30'
rollback bed for hauling our Scorpion and Fox (at the same time). At 40' in
length and 28,000 empty, it isn't exactly small nor light and I expected a
pretty steep price for moving it. Aside for the error in the length of the
truck I still think it is a fair price:

YOUR RATE FOR 30' X 8 X 10'6

28000#

LTL RATE OF $1275.00

OK, it will cost more because it is in fact 40' long BUT at 30' and 28,000 lb
it still might make a full load for most trucks.

It seems you just need to talk to the right person/company to get a good
price . . . or perhaps I'm not trying to get something for nothing.

Stuart Robinson
9 British "green" thingies and
2 American ones