Re: [MV] Texas MV reg/insp....again

From: Jess Minton (pd.minton@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Sat Sep 15 2001 - 16:53:03 PDT

Gene,
   Well, being a recent "customer" of my County TxDot office I can tell you how
I registered my jeep in July... I took the title that was already in my name
since the plates had expired and paid for a 3 year Former Military Vehicle
registration.  This registration requires the vehicle be only driven on the roadway
for public functions (parades, ets...) These vehicles don't require licence plates if
their serial number is clearly painted in #'s of at least 2 inches.. they will require
a photo attached to the form that shows the #'s.  The law requires no insurance
 or inspection on the vehicle as long as it is used only for the purpose stated above..
if you want to drive it to work or the store to show it off an officer "could" write you
a cite for the registration violation, no inspection and  no insurance if you were not complying
with the Former Military Vehicle requirements.  And may I suggest insurance is a
cheap smart investment (mine is through JC Taylor now for $77 a year! including
liability and replacement)  see:
http://www.dot.state.tx.us/insdtdot/orgchart/vtr/reginfo/spplates/specialplate.asp?military
for the plate law and form that you can print.
Most cops are too interested in your vehicle to care about how it is registered...
***Note to Joe Young.. I bet you would have much fewer problems with the cops
here in Texas if we could talk you into relocating!!!***
but if you get involved in an accident their specific general orders may state
the officer shall issue all citations.. (kind of an underhanded quota)

§ 548.052. Vehicles Not Subject to Inspection
This chapter does not apply to:
(1) a trailer, semitrailer, pole trailer, or mobile home moving under or bearing a current factory-delivery license plate or current in-transit license plate;
(2) a vehicle moving under or bearing a paper dealer in-transit tag, machinery license, disaster license, parade license, prorate tab, one-trip permit, antique license, temporary 24-hour permit, or permit license;
(3) a trailer, semitrailer, pole trailer, or mobile home having an actual gross weight or registered gross weight of 4,500 pounds or less;
(4) farm machinery, road-building equipment, a farm trailer, or a vehicle required to display a slow-moving-vehicle emblem under Section 547.703;
(5) a former military vehicle, as defined by Section 502.275;

go to:
http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/statutes/tntoc.html
to see how many crazy state laws it takes to for the government to run the highways!
just look for the section that you want regarding your questions..
Good Luck!
Jess Minton
42 GPW (Texas approved Former Military Vehicle)
Arlington, TX