Re: [MVlist] Captured Equipment

From: Richard Notton (Richard@fv623.demon.co.uk)
Date: Sun Sep 16 2001 - 00:20:07 PDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gary Pavone" <gpavone@thegrid.net>
To: "Mil-Veh" <mil-veh@mil-veh.org>; "Military Vehicle List"
<MVlist@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Saturday, September 15, 2001 9:43 PM
Subject: [MVlist] Captured Equipment

> A friend of mine is interested in any sources of pictures of captured
allied
> equipment being used by Nazi forces during WWII. His principle interest is
> in MB's. Thanks,

My very good friend here, Paul Hocking, a dedicated German WWII historian
and professional restorer has just completed a series of three detailed
articles - "German WWII Buete-Fahrzeuge and Umbau-Wagen (Britisch)" in the
last few issues of the MVT magazine "Windscreen", you may know of a MVT
member locally with these or see http://www.mvt.org.uk

The WWII volume of the Vanderveen "Bible" covers many types captured in such
quantity that these were re-bodied to Wehrmacht requirements, especially the
vast numbers that were abandoned at Dunkirk, although this is too early for
MB's.

At one time the DAK were operating with 80% captured vehicles and stores,
the Germans being prolific photographers means there are quantities of
archival photographs over here in museum libraries. I regret this doesn't
help much being an ocean away, it is typical for us to take a winter day out
pouring over the tons of archive matter in the IWM by appointment and of
course the European museums have potentially months of material to trawl
through.

Richard
Southampton - England