Re: [MV] They're Coming to Take It Away, Part I-Sample Letter

From: Richard Lathrop (lathrrs@snip.net)
Date: Wed Sep 19 2001 - 04:17:20 PDT

www.senate.gov/www.house.gov will get you your representatives contact information.

This is going to be on the fast track so we will have to marshal our forces quickly.

Dear Senator ,
Senate Bill 1416, Section 1062, the Military Authorization Bill for 2002 is virtually a mirror image of previously defeated legislation. The section that has been introduced into the Senate would authorize the Secretary of Defense to compel "demilitarization" of certain military equipment. This provision is a rebirth of Section 361 of the old HR4205, defeated last year.

Frankly, there is not now, nor has there ever been, any argument that old military equipment in the hands of private citizens poses any threat to anyone. Rather, the provision is just one of those symbolic gestures that chips away at the essence of American principles for the sake of superficial political appeal.

Many of these vehicles that would be banned and have to be destroyed are being used by people to deliver aid to fellow citizens in New York City and to rally people to blood donation sites as well as other uses.

As proud reminders of our military history at a time when all Americans need to join together to fight a common foe, these vehicles serve as powerful tools of a previous time when America came together to defeat those who would threaten our way of life.

As a registered voter I urge you to work to remove this section from the final bill.

Sincerley,

From: kb <kenb@alltel.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 00:11:47 -0400