reality of pending law

From: DDoyle9570@aol.com
Date: Wed Sep 19 2001 - 17:47:33 PDT

The function of this legislation is not to shield the government from
liability in automotive accidents. Nor is there provision in it that would
in any way, shape form or fashion exempt 99% of the people on this list from
its reach.
There are provisions that would exclude equipment loaned to or owned by
legitiment museums from this....and those trucks sitting in your driveway, or
the Jeep in your garage do not constitute a museum. As a rule the provisions
underwhich equipment is transferred to museums by DOD ALREADY require that
they be rendered inoperable, and be maintained in an inoperable state.
The wording of this is such that if General Westmoreland signed off as
contracting officer at the DRMO that released your M35A2, if it is at any
time deemed to be significant military equipment, get ready to give it up.
And there is no mention in it mentioning weapon mounts....weapon mounting
capability is not necessary to be considered "significant."
It has been too long since I bought a M35A2, but I know for a fact M36A2
cargo trucks are "munitions list items," and as such for some time cannot be
exported to a number of countries, and must have DOD approval to be exported
to ANY company....how far of a stretch is it from that to "significant
military equipment?"

In reality, I doubt that this legislation was crafted with our old trucks (or
even armor) in mind. More than likely the actual target of this more high
tech stuff...I have a friend who was visited by DOD to prevent him from
selling salvaged circuit boards from old computers without "demilling" them.
I am sure that we all understand and appreciate that. Likewise, if by
mistake, the guidance system of a cruise missile were sold, it would be good
to recover it.
HOWEVER, the legislation needs more specific (restrictive) language, so our
trucks, and Collings Foundation B-17 and B-24 are virtually specifically
excluded.
My concern is that in spite of the current intent of the legislation, if it
becomes law, this law could then be abused in the future and legally applied
to our trucks.

My .02,
David Doyle