Re: [MV] Duese &1/2 insurance-other than JC??

From: Amnon Nissan (amnon@deltaforce.net)
Date: Wed Sep 19 2001 - 18:47:12 PDT

Here is what I got from one of our lurkers, Dennis G.

Let me preface it by stating I have several large tacticals, and have
done a lot of work in getting and keeping the runners compliant with the
laws.

I used J. C. Taylor for years until finding out they automatically
cancel your coverage in the event you are towing anything. Seems HMV's
and trailers go together, so a conflict plainly exists...

Insurance is available in most states from Gulfway Insurers in Florida,
@ 800-940-5010. They have tailored a plan just for old trucks involved
in being driven on a regular basis, but not in commercial service.
There are no restrictions on cargo or trailer pulling, as long as it is
your stuff and not for hire. They care not what engine you have, or
if it is in a garage or not. My $1M umbrella runs around $400 per year
for all my trailers and two trucks.

Tri-State insurance is another source, but they have limited
availability around the great lakes area (800-603-3330)

Not that it matters in your locale, but in AZ we can be categorically
exempted from any & all commercial fees and requirements providing we
meet the following criteria; Licensed as a Historic Vehicle (25 years
or older), and not engaged in commercial service. This action has
resulted in the fee reductions on my trucks from hundreds of dollars to
$29 per. GVW is officially listed as "0" for my 5-ton cargo.

Numerous other states (VT, TX, CA et al) are participating in this
action retroactively.

This is a rather recent development out here as the result of over 10
years of work by the Automotive Hobbyist Council, the American Truck
Historical Society, and private individuals. The ATHS is active in
getting this codified in the federal regs, and this would of course
include your state.

They (ATHS) have a web site, www.aths.org. They do a lot of good
things for old truck owners, both civilian and military. Give them a
look, and perhaps some of their efforts might be of use to you.

Please feel free to e-mail me and/or post any of my information on the
list.

Shalom Ya'll
Amnon Nissan

Deltaforce