Re: [MV] Appliction of vehicles to the new law

From: JEFF HAIN-MATSON (flmv@flmv.net)
Date: Thu Sep 20 2001 - 10:10:51 PDT

Darrell Shake wrote:

> In the last 8 years
> weve been involved in many pieces of legislation in the gun industry
and
> have seen almost every one of the new laws expanded to cover items not

> on the list when the legislation was sold to your reps in DC. The real

> problem is that these laws are worded loosely ( as is this one ) and
> leave holes where other additions can be made. Case in point. The
asault
> weapons ban spread to include countless weapons that were not shown by

> name or wired to a board for the press to broadcast as the ugly
weapons
> that no civilian would want or need to own. My reason for mentioning
> this is simple . Your reps did not in every case know that the bill
they
> voted for would restrict the sale of many guns and magazines that have

> been for sale to the public for decades before and after WW2. I dont
> like the wording on what Ive seen so far and even if this
administration
> assures you that your prized vehicles would not be included if the
next
> administration doesnt veiw this in the same light the law is still
there
> and the loose wording will allow them to add your vehicles to the
list.
> Walk softly my freinds but dont turn your back . Darrell.

I have to agree with Darrell,

Unfortunately this is not so loosely worded when it comes to vehicles:

below are some snips from the current UNITED STATES MUNITIONS LIST,
subject to change at the whim of the DEPARTMENT OF STATE

  Category VII--Tanks and Military Vehicles

    *(a) Military type armed or armored vehicles, military railway
trains, and vehicles specifically designed or modified to accommodate
mountings for arms or other specialized military equipment or fitted
with such items.
*(b) Military tanks, combat engineer vehicles, bridge launching
vehicles, half-tracks and gun carriers.
    *(c) Self-propelled guns and howitzers.
    (d) Military trucks, trailers, hoists, and skids specifically
designed, modified, or equipped to mount or carry weapons of Categories
I, II and IV or for carrying and handling the articles in paragraph (a)
of Categories III and IV.

                      Category I--Firearms

    *(a) Nonautomatic, semi-automatic and fully automatic firearms to
caliber .50 inclusive. (See Sec. 121.9 and Secs. 123.17 and 123.18 of
this subchapter.)

lets see, designed, modified, or equipped to carry weapons from Category

I--Firearms, this would mean if your vehicle has or is capable of having
even
a rifle mount kit it could be delt with under this new legislation. (
MB/GPW
with factory reinforcement in the frame for pedestal mount )

this is the reason the M548 tracked carrier is a demil item, it is a
POTENTIAL weapons platform.

no where does it give a time limit ( i.e.. grand fathered in under
section....... ) so that would seem to include ALL WWII ARMOUR!

The only exemption for us collectors seems to be:
(4) to other issues and undemilitarized significant military equipment
under the provisions of the provisions of the Department of Defense
Demilitarization Manual, DoD 4160.21-M-1.

The problem with this manual is that in 15 years of buying surplus, i
have
seen it changed / revised lots of times and the information in it is
applied
differently from base to base. the M151 demil program is a great example
of
this, you could go to 4 different bases in 1 week and see 4 different
demil
requirements, all supposedly from the same manual.

I would hope that common sense would prevail in the administration of
this,
if it is ever rammed down our throats, but
with the government involved i won't hold my breath!

jeff

--
JEFF HAIN-MATSON
FRONT LINE MILITARY VEHICLES      WEB SITE:   www.flmv.net