Jerry Can Question

From: INDUSTELE@aol.com
Date: Sat Sep 22 2001 - 07:58:10 PDT

I know - a bunch of you are thinking "OH NO!! - Not another jerry can
thread!" But I think they're interesting and they're cheap. Got this one
for 50 cents on ebay. I think it's just "Jerry Can Envy". 8-)

Just picked up a 1943 CAVALIER marked gas can, that's marked between the
handles and not on the bottom. Never seen a gas can with the markings on
top, but it is definitely a gas can and not a water/soup can (have several of
those, so I know the difference). Have a three of the Cavalier Marked '44
Water Cans, so I guess the Cavalier company had their dies set up to stamp on
the tops, rather than the bottoms, and didn't change when they made gas cans.
 Don't know, just a guess.

My question, this can came with a flexible spout, but it is the screw in
style, rather than the cam type with the squeeze gland for sealing. It has
no markings that I can see (and I've cleaned it thoroughly). Does anyone
know the origin of these screw in spouts?? Are they military? Were they
issued prior to the clamp on style, or later? Any info would be appreciated.

Let the Jerry Can thread begin.

Tom Campbell - Birmingham, Alabama