Re: [MV] LOGSA and Virus Warning

From: wwd@netheaven.com
Date: Sun Sep 23 2001 - 05:45:23 PDT

In <list-1300300@skylee.com>, on 09/23/01
   at 08:45 AM, "Jim Newton" <jnewton@laurel.com> said:

>This virus breaks all the rules.

>This virus is able to get into a Microsoft web server and lie in wait for
>those of you with Microsoft Internet Explorer and Outlook (or Outlook
>Express) to visit the site and you will contract the virus just by
>visiting the site and you won't even know it.

>If you use another browser, when you visit the page it will pop up a
>window that says something like "Click here to view the README file"...if
>you click it, the virus will launch in your computer and start emailing
>itself to others.

Only if you are using a Micro$oft operating system.

>This is not a hoax...I've been dealing with eradicating this virus and
>learning all about it for the last two days solid.

I've been doing productive things for the past 2 days.

>Right now, before you do ANYTHING ELSE, go get the latest update for your
>virus software. Then disconnect your computer from the Internet and any
>other computers and make sure you get rid of the virus!

I run NO 'virus software' of any kind. Total waste of time and expense.
Why? Because I do NOT use a Micro$oft operating system on my computer.

>If you use Internet Explorer, be sure to grab the security patches that
>prevent this intrusion. There is a link at www.mcaffee.com in the
>Anti-Virus section under NIMDA.

>www.Antivirus.com has a utility called FIX_NIMDA that you run in DOS and
>it will check your whole system.

>If you use Outlook for your email, switch to another email client
>(Pegasus Mail, Agent, Eudora, anything but Outlook...there are plenty of
>other better choices). All of the destructive viruses and worms that
>you've heard about on the news only attack Outlook, so (duh) don't use
>Outlook.

Well stated, but still a lot of totally unnecessary bother.

>The LOGSA site went down the same time our server did...the NIMDA virus
>exploded onto the Internet on Tuesday. I would say it is nearly a 100%
>certainty that LOGSA got hit by NIMDA too.

Idiotic that a MILITARY website would use Micro$oft systems when far
superior, 'maintenance free' and secure systems are readily available. Is
this 'preparedness'??

>I'm probably the most careful person in the WORLD about not opening
>attachments, keeping virus software up-to-date, following up on security
>patches, and all the precautions. Yet somehow my laptop got this virus
>despite all my care. If you're not as careful, you will most certainly
>catch this virus within a week.

I've done NOTHING about this and, no, it will be of no consequence here.
As it has been since I've been 'online' since 1990~- gee, when DID I first
hook up with GEnie and Compuserve? Been a _long_ time.

>Please heed my warnings so you don't have to rebuild your data like I had
>to this week!

Remove Miscro$oft completely from your Internet-connected computer and you
can spend time doing productive things like working on your Military
Vehicles, for instance. Sure, keep a spare computer around to run your
favorite Micro$oft stuff like games, etc. but keep this OFF the Internet,
please. Let the kiddies play with it.

>If you have any questions at all about this topic, email me off list and
>I'll help you as much as I can.

Or just install free (ok, $4-US plus postage for the cd) Linux systems
(Mandrake is a good one and VERY easy to install) or you can install
Free-BSD, or OS/2 Warp (this one costs, but is available used/cheap if you
look around). And save this poor Lister all the time and trouble he
generously offers. He has MV projects to work on, too.

Or you can buy a new computer built to run 'proprietary' systems such as
MacintoshOS or SunOS. These are very easy to use and make excellent
Internet devices, so you can completely disconnect your Micro$oft box.

If 'military preparedness' is to be more than just an oxymoron, it will
require a little effort by Listers. I suggest that effort is better spent
installing an inherently secure system, rather than running around
patching and sweating about the latest insult to 'Micro$oft security'
(oxymoron again).

Listers should deal with real challenges and not have be bothered by the
punks and losers who create viruses, etc. Personally, I don't give them
the time of day, and there is really no reason for you to, either.

Bill

--
wwd@netheaven.com