Re: [MV] engine colors (GPW)

From: jim gilmore (jgilmore@ptd.net)
Date: Sun Sep 23 2001 - 17:06:15 PDT

  I wrote,
>> ..........Ford used the # M-1788-H gray paint (same as tractor) on
>> the GPW from 9/42 on..............

maurizio wrote,
>>...from 09/42? and what about "before" ?? I mean 06/42 GPW...
   Jeff H-M wrote,
what about on a 30 apr 42 delivery dated gpw???

      Ford records state that on 5/42 starting with motor ...." # 262xx
First motor painted with M-4084-G gray paint"

      There is no notation in any records what color the motors were
painted BEFORE this date. I suspect they were also gray but do not know
which gray. I suspect this as the earlier GP model motors were painted
gray. The gray used for them (GP) was the same paint as the early 9N
tractor motors as they were built at the same time in the same Motor
assembly building. This gray paint had a slight "Blueish" tint and was
different from the later 8N tractors. I have searched hundreds of rolls of
microfilm on paints in the Ford Industrial Archives but was unable to find
the formulas for these grays. I did find the specs for the later 8N gray
and most of the blacks and the WW II O.D. primer. I would probably
suggest using the Martin Senour number 60-19 gray available from NAPA as
the closest match as of now.

BTW.......early GPW's and the GP's were not painted the "brownish" OD that
everyone seems to be using such as #34087 and the like. They were a rather
dark and "greenish" OD which was totally flat. RAPCO's #319 green is
probably the closest match. I have been "trading" paint chips from
existing GP and GPW's from owners for several years and comparing them to
original boxed parts and all have matched the darker green OD.

    Of course, if you use the proper color, everyone will tell you that
it's wrong................but you'll know it's right!

Jim

   NOTE NEW ADDRESS----NOTE NEW ADDRESS---NOTE NEW ADDRESS------AS OF
JANUARY 4, 2001---------

Jim Gilmore